Terhune family papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of correspondence, land indentures, deeds, contracts, booklets, and photographs of the John Terhune family of New Brunswick, New Jersey. The papers primarily concern the property acquired by John Terhune (1793-1886) for his book publishing company in New Brunswick. One letter (1842 February 1) is from Noah Webster (1758-1843) of New Haven, Connecticut to John Terhune and concerns the printing and selling of Webster's Elementary Spelling Book. There is also a contract (1840 October 26) signed by Webster, granting the rights to publish his speller to John Terhune. Included in the collection are three copybooks that belonged to Hannah Van Voorhis, Matilda Zabriskie, and Isaac Zabriskie. There are also Terhune family photographs as well as a photograph of the Terhune and Van Anglen Bookstore in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- Terhune family. (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
The Terhune family of New Brunswick, New Jersey owned a bookstore called the Terhune and Van Anglen Bookstore, also in New Brunswick. John Terhune (1793-1886) owned a book publishing company in New Brunswick. He had a publishing contract with Noah Webster (1758-1843) of New Haven, Connecticut to print and sell Webster's Elementary Spelling Book.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged chronologically. The collection consists of one box.
Physical Access Requirements
All materials in the collection are photocopies.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Date acquired: 06/09/1962
Collection processed in 1962.
- Terhune, John, 1793-1886.
- Webster, Noah, 1758-1843.
- Authors and publishers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Contracts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Copybooks (instructional materials) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Deeds Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Indentures Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Publishers and publishing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Terhune family.
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note