Andrew Beirne family papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of business papers of Andrew Beirne and his family, including his son, Oliver Beirne, and William Porcher Miles, who married Oliver Beirne's daughter. There are deeds, notes, correspondence, receipts, judgments, indentures, agreements, contracts, and account books that document plantation life while the Beirne family lived in Virginia during Andrew Beirne's time and later when the family moved to Ascension Parish, Louisiana. In addition, there is correspondence of William Porcher Miles, who was a professor, a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives, and later President of the University of South Carolina.
- Other: Date acquired: 12/12/1995
- Beirne family. (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Andrew Beirne (1771-1845) was an educated Irish immigrant who cleared the land, sold lumber, and farmed in Virginia during the early part of the 19th century. He was a member of the State House of Delegates in 1807 and 1808; during the War of 1812 served Company Captain and as Colonel of the Monroe County Militia; delegate to the Virginia Constitutional Convention in 1829 and 1830; member of the State senate 1831-1836; presidential elector on the Democratic ticket of Van Buren and Johnson in 1836; and elected as a Van Buren Democrat to the Twenty-fifth and Twenty-sixth Congresses (1837-1841).
Oliver Beirne, Andrew Beirne's son, developed sugar plantations in Ascension Parish, Louisiana and lived at Herinear House. His daughter, Betty, married William Porcher Miles (1822-1899), who was a professor, a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives (1857-1860), and later President of the University of South Carolina (1880-1882).
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged chronologically. The collection consists of three boxes.
Collection processed in 1998 by HB.
- Beirne, Andrew.
- Beirne, Oliver.
- Miles, William Porcher, 1822-1899.
- Beirne family.
- Contracts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Deeds Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Plantation life -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Local sources
- Promissory notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Receipts (financial records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sugar plantations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note