Sidney Villere papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists primarily of materials used by Sidney Villere while researching his great grandfather, Jacques Philippe Villere, the first native-born governor of New Orleans. There are genealogical notes on numerous families related to the Villere family, photocopies of documents by and about figures that interacted with Jacques Philippe Villere, as well as Sidney Villere's correspondence. Also included in the collection is material by George C.H. Kernion, a Louisiana genealogist, which includes speeches, typescripts, and correspondence.
- Other: Date acquired: 12/01/1989
- Villere, Sidney Louis. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Sidney Villere (1901-1982) was a researcher of Louisiana colonial history and genealogy as well as an author of two books on Louisiana history. He researched his great grandfather, Jacques Philippe Villere, the first native-born governor of Louisiana. As a young man he was a member of the New Orleans Art League and pursued commercial art, printmaking, and pen and ink drawings. Villere was a member of the National Trust, the Louisiana Historical Society, L'Athénée louisianais, the Louisiana Historical and Genealogical Society, and served as secretary of the Orleans Landmarks Commission.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by topic as follows: genealogical notes, arranged alphabetically by family name; photocopies of documents and genealogical notes, arranged chronologically and alphabetically; Villere correspondence, arranged chronologically; and Kernion material. The collection consists of four boxes.
- Kernion, George Campbell Huchet de.
- Villere, Sidney Louis.
- Villeré, Jacques Philippe, 1761-1830.
- Athénée louisianais (New Orleans, La.)
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Genealogies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Louisiana Historical Society.
- Louisiana Historical and Genealogical Society.
- Orleans Landmarks Commission.
- Research notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Speeches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Typescripts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note