Mathias Webb Darton papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of tracings of surveys, primarily of the Donaldsonville area in Ascension Parish, Louisiana; correspondence regarding surveys and the establishment of the Lafourche, Assumption, and Ascension Railroad Company; and newspaper clippings of the 1870s about the Mississippi River levees and flooding. Mathias Webb Darton was Parish Surveyor of Ascension Parish. Also in the collection are religious pamphlets and letters regarding the Civil War in Texas.
- Darton, Mathias Webb. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Mathias Webb Darton (1830-1900) was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia. His father was a successful ship builder in Boston. He moved to Texas with his wife circa 1850 and built ships there until a hurricane destroyed his business. He ran a blockade between Galveston and Havana during the Civil War. Darton later moved to New Orleans in 1871 and served as Parish Surveyor of Ascension Parish until ill health forced him to retire in 1890.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by medium as follows: 1) Tracings and maps in Oversize folder 1 and 2) Notes, clippings, correspondence, pamphlets, and printed material in Box 1. The collection consists of one box and one oversize folder.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Naomi Darton. Date acquired: 12/07/1971.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 775676736
Collection processed in 1971.
- Darton, Mathias Webb.
- Ascension Parish (La) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Donaldsonville (La) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Floods -- Mississippi River Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lafourche, Assumption, and Ascension Railroad Company.
- Land surveys Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Levees -- Mississippi River Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Maps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description