Augustin and Wogan families papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of family papers, primarily of the Augustin family, with notes and papers of the Wogan family. In addition, there are writings by Jeanne Wogan Arguedas, who wrote under the pen name Anne Labranche. The Augustin family papers consist of records of Jean Augustin and his wife Marie Sauton as well as a petition signed by prominent New Orleanians in favor of Honorable Donatien Augustin, Judge of the Fifth District Court (1857). There are genealogies for the Wogan family as well as other related families, including Mandeville, Almonaster, Morant, Livaudais, Trepagnier, and d'Herbigny. The Jeanne Wogan Arguedas material includes writings, notes, translations, printed material, and clippings, primarily on Creole culture.
- Augustin family. (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
The Augustin family lived in Santiago de Cuba from 1803-1909 and in New Orleans from 1842-1923. Jean Augustin and his wife Marie Sauton are relatives of Jeanne Wogan Argueda (pen name Anne Labranche). The Honorable Donatien Augustin, was Judge of the Fifth Circuit Court in New Orleans. Other related families include the Mandeville, Almonaster, Morant, Livaudais, Trepagnier, and d'Herbigny families.
Jeanne Wogan Argueda is the author of The Last Days of Oak Lane Plantation and The Vow: Romance of old New Orleans. She also wrote Creole poems, stories and songs.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into two sections, 1) family papers (folders 1-11) and 2) Jeanne Wogan Arguedas material (folders 12-24). The collection consists of one box.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Professor Daniel Wogan. Date acquired: 12/05/1964.
Accruals and Additions
Additional material added in 1969 and 1991
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 776232543
Collection processed in 1972 by SW, in 1991 by HB ans ML, and in 1994 by ML.
- Labranche, Anne.
- Women authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Augustin family.
- Creoles -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cuba -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Genealogies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Société française de bienfaisance et d'assistance mutuelle de la Nouvelle Orléans.
- Translations Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Wogan family.
- Women poets, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Writings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note