J.L. Tupy collection on Adolph J. Sabath
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of unpublished autobiographical and biographical material about United States Democratic Congressman Adolph J. Sabath, a Czech immigrant who was Representative from Chicago's Fifth District from 1907 to 1952. Sabath was Chairman of the House Rules Committee for many years. The collection contains correspondence, telegrams, reference material, notes, typescripts, speeches, articles, manuscript material, and reports. There are autobiographical notes as well as biographical notes and material gathered together by J.L. Tupy, Sabath's secretary or administrative assistant during the 1930s. Issues addressed during Sabath's political career include the reform of immigration laws, liberalization of labor laws, Czech national movement and the creation of an independent Czech state, prohibition repeal, and New Deal economic policies.
- Other: Date acquired: 05/12/1970
- Tupy, J.L. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
J.L. Tupy was a Czech immigrant that lived in Chicago. He worked closely with Adolph J. Sabath during the 1930s, probably in the capacity of secretary or administrative assistant. On one occasion, he was special investigator of a House committee, headed by Sabath, to check on bondholders' reorganizations. He helped record Sabath's biographical information by taking notes as Sabath dictated to his memoirs to him. Tupy would make radio addresses on behalf of Sabath to inform Sabath's constituents of his work in Congress.
The collection is arranged by topic, as follows: Sabath correspondence, Sabath autobiographical and biographical material, speeches and other written material about Sabbath, J.L. Tupy correspondence, Tupy memoir and radio addresses, Tupy report, manuscript materials written by Tupy, Tupy printed materials, and Tupy real estate ledger. The collection consists of three boxes and one volume.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
Collection processed in 1971.
- Sabath, Adolph Joachim, 1866-1952.
- Tupy, J.L.
- Biographies Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Czechoslovakia -- Emigration and immigration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Emigration and immigration law -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memoirs Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Speeches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Typescripts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States. Congress. House.
- United States. Congress. House. Committee on Rules.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description