Adeline Sugar Factory Company records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of correspondence, contracts, land documents, leases, legal documents, cancelled checks, promissory notes, income tax forms, account records, bills, and receipts of the Adeline Sugar Factory Company and the firm of Sims and Giles, which operated the company store. Much of the material dating after 1932 concerns the personal and business affairs of William F. Giles, administrator of the plant. The correspondence is primarily between W. S. Pardonner, Secretary and Manager of the company and President of the Savannah Sugar Refining Corporation, and William F. Giles. The letters discuss crops, production costs, shipping, marketing, finances, acquisition and repair of machinery and equipment, varieties of cane planted, production diversification plans, leasing of company land, and cane buying from small producers.
- Other: Majority of material found in 1892-1932
- Adeline Sugar Factory Co. Ltd. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
The Adeline Sugar Factory Company was a sugar plantation and refining company in St. Mary Parish. Sims and Giles (Giles and Dupuy after 1917) operated, under lease, the company store. William F. Giles was the administrator of the plant.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by topic and then chronologically as follows: correspondence, contracts and legal documents, and financial records. The collection consists of four boxes.
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mr. J.A. Bolner. Date acquired: 04/05/1967.
Method of Acquisition
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 774985440
Collection processed in 1966.
- Giles, William F.
- Adeline Sugar Factory Co. Ltd.
- Contracts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legal documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Saint Mary Parish (La) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Savannah Sugar Refining Corporation.
- Sims and Giles.
- Sugar -- Manufacture and refining Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sugar plantations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sugar trade -- Louisiana -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description