Winston Lill papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence and professional papers from Winston Lill's public relations work for the City of New Orleans as well as from his time as Staff Director for the Louisiana World Exposition of 1984. There is advertising material from photographer Frank H. Allen that Lill obtained while working for the New Orleans Public Service. There are also annual reports, speeches, and campaign material documenting his position as Assistant Director and then Director of Public Relations for the City of New Orleans during deLesseps S. Morrison's time as mayor. Lill was special assistant to Morrison when he became ambassador to the Organization of American States (1961-1963). Additional materials mark Lill's time as executive vice president of W.R. Smolkin and Associates and executive director of Total Community Action (1965-1969). The most diverse items in the collection document Winston Lill's experience as staff director for the 1984 Louisiana World Exposition.
- Other: Majority of material found in 1950s-1980s
- Other: Date acquired: 03/04/1987
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
The Radlauer and Caire Advertising Agency's clients included Higgins Boats, the Port of Gulfport, the New Orleans International Airport, and Walker Roemer Milk. The agency also did advertising for political campaigns, working on Sam Jones' campaign for governor, Russell Long's re-election campaign for United States Senator, and Victor Schiro's campaign for mayor of New Orleans. The agency seems to have been most active during the middle of the twentieth century.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by topic, then chronologically, as follows: Lill biography, early correspondence, Frank H. Allen material, Morrison mayoral and Organization of American States material, W.R. Smolkin and Associates material, Total Community Action material, Armstrong Park material, and Louisiana World Exposition records. The collection consists of 18 boxes and 2 oversize folders.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
- Landrieu, Moon, 1930-
- Lill, Winston C. (Winston Carrington), b. 1927.
- Allen, Frank H. , 1905-1973
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ephemera Subject Source: Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms
- Fitzgerald advertising agency, Incorporated.
- Louisiana World Exposition (1984 : New Orleans, La.)
- Morrison, deLesseps S. (deLesseps Story), 1912-1964
- Political campaigns Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Total Community Action of New Orleans.
- Tourism -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- W.R. Smolkin and Associates.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note