Augusto Miceli papers
Scope and Contents
This collection is made up of correspondence, research notes, clippings and other reference material used by Augusto Miceli for writing his books, The Pickwick Club of New Orleans, and The Man with the Red Umbrella, the story of Giacomo Beltrami's exploration of the upper Mississippi River. The Mistick Krewe of Comus in 1857 set up a "front" organization, which they called the Pickwick Club. Miceli was a Pickwick Club historian and lawyer in New Orleans. The collection contains the manuscript for The Pickwick Club of New Orleans.
- Other: Majority of material found in 1950s-1960s
- Miceli, Augusto P. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Augusto P. Miceli is the author of The Pickwick Club of New Orleans and The Man with the Red Umbrella, the story of Giacomo Beltrami's exploration of the upper Mississippi River. Pickwick Club historian, lawyer, Loyola University graduate (1930), Miceli earned his University of Rome doctorate of jurisprudence in 1934. He began practicing law in New Orleans in 1935; during World War II he was a member of the Judge Advocate Corps and a colonel on the staff of General Omar Bradley. After the war, Miceli headed the legal department of the Standard Fruit and Steamship Company of New Orleans until 1965, when he joined the legal firm of Jones, Walker, Waechter, Poitevent, Carrier, and Denegre.
Miceli's book, The Pickwick Club of New Orleans is the story of the social, economic, and civic life of New Orleans for nearly eleven decades. The organizers of the Mistick Krewe of Comus in 1857 set up a "front" organization, which they called the Pickwick Club.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into two main sections: 1) The Pickwick Club of New Orleans materials (Boxes 1-7) and 2) Giacomo Beltrami materials (Boxes 8-10), in addition to a scrapbook. Each section is subdivided into topics that are arranged chronologically. The collection consists of 10 boxes and 1 volume.
Source of Acquisition
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 793397809
- Beltrami, Giacomo Costantino, 1779-1855.
- Bradley, Omar Nelson, 1893-1981.
- Miceli, Augusto P.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawyers -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mistick Krewe of Comus (Organization)
- Pickwick Club of New Orleans.
- Research notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Standard Fruit & Steamship Co.
- United States. Army. Judge Advocate General's Corps.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note