Roger P. McCutcheon papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a biography, correspondence (1919-1954), speeches, poems, essays, course materials, clippings (1941-1974), pamphlets, and photographs relating to the life and career of Roger P. McCutcheon (1889-1965). McCutcheon was the former dean of Tulane University's Graduate School. He joined Tulane University in 1925 and retired in 1954, when he accepted a post of head of graduate education at Vanderbilt University. He contributed to the Dictionary of American Biography, a portion of which can be found in this collection.
- Other: Date acquired: 11/30/1986
- McCutcheon, Roger Philip, 1889-1965. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
○ Roger Philip McCutcheon (1889-1965), former Dean of Tulane University Graduate School, joined the University in 1925. He served as president of South Central section of the Modern Language Association and the Conference of Deans of Southern Graduate Schools and was also vice-president of the American Council of Learned Societies. In 1954, upon his retirement from Tulane, he accepted the post of head of graduate education at Vanderbilt University; he received an honorary degree of Doctor of Letters from Wake Forest University, his alma mater, the same year. He published An Anthology of English Literature with W.H. Vann in 1931; An Introduction to the Study of Poetry with R. R. Kirk in 1934; Eighteenth Century Literature in 1949; and contributed to the Dictionary of American Biography.
The collection is arranged by topic as follows: biographical and personal papers, correspondence, writings and notes, clippings, pamphlets, and photographs. The collection consists of one box.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 819572028
- McCutcheon, Roger Philip, 1889-1965.
- Biographies Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- English literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Essays Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Poems Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Speeches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Tulane University. Graduate School.
- Universities and colleges -- Graduate work Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description