Burruss family papers
Scope and Contents
The Burruss family papers consist of correspondence, manuscripts, clippings, bills and receipts, and other printed matter. The correspondence is made up of three main groups: letters from Mary Burruss McGehee to her brother John W. Burruss while he was a student at Wesleyan University, Connecticut (1834-1835); letters from John W. Burruss to his father John C. Burruss discussing work and activities on the plantation (1840-1859); and letters from John T. Semple and W.W. Semple, Confederate Army, to their parents. There are also manuscripts of speeches and poems by Judge Robert Semple, New Roads, Louisiana, as well as a pamphlet, First Annual Report of the Mississippi State Colonization Society (1832).
- Other: Date acquired: 01/07/1960
- Burruss family. (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
The Burruss family lived in Woodville, Mississippi. John W. Burruss was a student at Wesleyan University, Middleton, Connecticut, and later owned a plantation. He discusses his life as a student as well as working on the plantation with his sister, Mary Burruss McGhee, and his father, John C. Burruss, respectively. John T. Semple and W. W. Semple fought in the Confederate Army. Judge Robert Semple of New Roads, Louisiana, wrote speeches and poems.
The collection is arranged as follows: family papers, arranged chronologically; manuscripts by Robert Semple, arranged chronologically; clippings; a pamphlet; empty envelopes; and an oversize envelope. The collection consists of one box and one oversize envelope.
Source of Acquisition
Dr. Joseph Leopold Burthe.
Method of Acquisition
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 771068150
Collection processed in 1962.
- Burruss, John C.
- Burruss, John W.
- Semple, John T.
- Semple, Robert.
- Semple, W. W.
- Burruss family.
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Plantation life -- Mississippi -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Burruss family papers
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description