Volunteer Committee of the New Orleans Symphony records
Scope and Contents
The collection is made up of financial records, minute books, ledgers, programs, and scrapbooks of the Volunteer Committee of the New Orleans Symphony, which was previously known as the New Orleans Women's Committee. The New Orleans Symphony changed its name to the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
The New Orleans Symphony existed from the 1930s to the early 1990s; in the 1990s and into the twenty-first century a musician-owned orchestra, the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, took its place. During the time span covered by this collection, the orchestra and its volunteer auxiliary used many alternate names interchangeably, including: New Orleans Symphony Orchestra, New Orleans Philharmonic Symphony, New Orleans Symphony, New Orleans Civic Symphony Orchestra, Symphony Society, Women's Committee, Women's Auxiliary, Volunteer Committee, Women's Auxiliary to the New Orleans Symphony Society, etc.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by format, then by topic, then chronologically, as follows: Women's Committee financial records, minutes, tour programs, scrapbooks, youth concert scrapbooks, other scrapbooks and other minute books. The collection consists of 2 boxes and 47 volumes.
Source of Acquisition
Women's Committee of the New Orleans Symphony Orchestra.
Method of Acquisition
Collection processed by M.L.
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minute books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- New Orleans (La) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra. Women’s Auxiliary.
- New Orleans Philharmonic-Symphony Society.
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Social service -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Souvenir programs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Women -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Societies and clubs -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note