Charles Etienne Arthur Gayarré papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains materials written by or relating to Charles Etienne Arthur Gayarré, a Louisiana historian. There is personal correspondence, manuscripts by Gayarré, genealogical material, a biography of Gayarré, notes on his publications, and personal financial records.
- Gayarré, Charles, 1805-1895. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Charles Etienne Arthur Gayarré (1805-1895) was an American historian born in New Orleans, Louisiana. He was a member of the Louisiana House of Representatives and in 1831 became the Attorney General of the state. In 1834 was elected as a Jackson Democrat to the United States Senate. Because of ill-health, however, he resigned without taking his seat, and for the next eight years travelled in Europe and collected historical material from the French and the Spanish archives. In 1844-1845 and in 1856-1857 Gayarré was again a member of the State House of Representatives, and from 1845 to 1853 was Secretary of State of Louisiana. He was long associated with the Louisiana Historical Society and was president of the organization from 1860 to 1888.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged as follows: correspondence, manuscripts, other papers, biography and correspondence, printed material, and manuscript volumes. The collection consists of one box and seven volumes.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 761878760
Collection processed in 1949 and 1990 by HB and ML.
- Gayarré, Charles, 1805-1895.
- Biographies Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Genealogies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Historians -- Louisiana -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Louisiana -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Louisiana Historical Society.
- Manuscripts (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Research notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Typescripts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description