William C.C. Claiborne papers
Scope and Contents
The collection is made up of correspondence and papers of William Claiborne created during the periods while he was Governor first of the Mississippi Territory and later the Governor of Louisiana. Included in the collection is a petition requesting Claiborne's assistance in collecting debts owed to merchants and other inhabitants of New Orleans from the Spanish Government. There are also several letters concerning the exemption of French citizens from militia duty.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
William Charles Cole Claiborne (1775-1817) was the first governor of Louisiana. He was a member of the House of Representatives from Tennessee; he then became Governor of the Mississippi Territory from 1801 to 1803. Claiborne moved to New Orleans and oversaw the transfer of Louisiana to U.S. control after the Louisiana Purchase in 1803. Claiborne was the first elected governor after Louisiana became a state, winning the election of 1812 against Jacques Villeré, and serving from 1812 through 1816. After serving as governor, he became a United States Senator and served from April, 1817 until his death.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged chronologically. The collection consists of one box.
Physical Access Requirements
Original letters are in fragile condition.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Date acquired: 11/30/1947.
Accruals and Additions
Additional material added to the collection in 1953 and 1969.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 785430747
- Claiborne, William C. C. (William Charles Cole), 1775-1817.
- Dayton, Jonathan, 1760-1824.
- Jackson, Andrew, 1767-1845.
- Madison, James, 1751-1836.
- Tousard, Louis de, 1749-1817.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Governors -- Louisiana -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kentucky Governor (1812-1816: Shelby) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Militia Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Petitions Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Portraits Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description