New Orleans Friends of Music records
Scope and Contents
The New Orleans Friends of Music is a volunteer music organization, established in 1956, that is enthusiastic about chamber music and brings visiting artists to play at Dixon Hall at the Tulane University campus. The collection is made up of the organization's articles of incorporation, by-laws, and amendments, membership lists, officer lists, minutes, correspondence, subscriptions, calling lists, financial records, artists' contracts, publicity, programs, promotional records, grant material, arts organization material, awards, and artist files.
- New Orleans Friends of Music (New Orleans, La.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Dr. Ernest Bueding conceived and organized the New Orleans Friends of Music in 1956. As a professor at Louisiana State University, Dr. Bueding attracted a small group of people, many from the medical profession, in creating a chamber music society to bring in visiting artists. With the aid of a grant from the Elizabeth Sprague Coolidge Foundation of the Library of Congress, the group presented its first concert on Jan. 27, 1956. Concerts have regularly been held at Dixon Hall on the Tulane University campus. Volunteers have traditionally assumed all responsibilities; sources of income include private donations and memberships.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged as follows: organizational records, membership and officer lists, minutes, correspondence (1955-1978); subscriptions; calling lists; grant records; financial and artist contract records (1950s-1970s); overture papers; memos; publicity; programs; minutes; artist contracts; press releases; correspondence (1973-2003); financial records (1980s-2000s), minutes and correspondence (2000s); arts organizations, awards and publicity, artist files, and bound programs. The collection consists of thirteen boxes and two bound volumes.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of New Orleans Friends of Music. Date acquired: 04/01/1977.
Accruals and Additions
Additional material added regularly.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 435838440
Collection processed in by Ann Bradburn and Masaki Noguchi. Revised by Melissa Smith in 2005.
- Bueding, Ernest, 1910-1986.
- Chamber music -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Concerts -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Membership lists Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Music -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Music -- Societies, etc Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- History Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans Friends of Music (New Orleans, La.)
- Programs (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description