Clara de Milt papers
Scope and Contents
The collection includes de Milt's notes and lectures, manuscripts and reprints of her works on organic chemistry, history of chemistry and science, philosophy of science, methodology, her own teaching ideas, and quizzes. The collection contains correspondence, of which a few letters were not intended for Clara de Milt, from the years 1938-1939, as well as a funeral announcement on George Urbain's death. There are also a few historically important photostats of letters to Professor Mallet (1888) from Walcott Gibb; Professor Mallet (1897) to Miss Hero; and Wohler (1880) to Mallet. There are also student notes and papers, writings and theses, de Milt's doctoral thesis, curriculum photographs, two bound manuscripts of a translation done by Ann Hero and de Milt, as well as a laboratory manual and papers of Dr. Virginia McConnell on Dr. de Milt written after her death.
- De Milt, Clara, 1891- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Dr. Clara de Milt (1891-1953) was Chairman of the Chemistry Department at Newcomb College. She was appointed Assistant Professor in 1925, Head in 1926, and Chairman of the Tulane Graduate School, Chemistry Department from 1941 to 1949. Her primary focus was organic chemistry, but she also enjoyed philosophy and history.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged as follows: correspondence, notes on the history of science, book reviews, notes on organic chemistry, works by de Milt and note, articles by others, research notes by others, photographs, philosophy of teaching, student papers, volumes and translation by Ms. Hero with notes, and Aus Meinen Leben, Emil Fisher translated by Ann Hero Northrup. The collection consists of fifteen boxes.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Virginia McConnell.
Accruals and Additions
Additional material added in 1987.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 759603264
Collection processed in 1975 and revised in 1987.
- Northrup, Ann Hero.
- Articles Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Chemistry, Organic Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lecture notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Publications Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Research notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Science -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tulane University. Dept. of Chemistry.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description