Catharine Savage Brosman papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of correspondence, manuscripts, and published material of Catharine Savage Brosman, poet and Professor Emerita of French at Tulane University. Included are edited manuscripts of Watering (a volume of Catharine Brosman's poetry), and of Jean-Paul Sartre (a scholarly monograph). The correspondence includes letters from other writers; letters from Jules Roy continued for over thirty years.
- Brosman, Catharine Savage, 1934- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Catharine Savage Brosman is a prolific author on French literary history and criticism, as well as a writer of several collections of original poetry. She received her B.A. and Ph.D. degrees in French from Rice University. Brosman taught French literature at Tulane University from 1968 until her retirement in the late 1990s. She is the author of the book, Jean-Paul Sartre as well as a book of poems, Watering.
9 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by subject as follows: correspondence (1961-1993), manuscripts, poems, other manuscripts and correspondence, publications, drafts and correspondence of particular poems, correspondence (1960s-1990s), and articles and literary journals. It consists of 16 boxes and is 9 linear feet.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Catharine Savage Brosman. Date acquired: 11/30/1982.
Accruals and Additions
Additional material added to the collection in 1985, 1988, and 1990.
Collection processed in 1983.
- Popular culture -- France -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Roy, Jules, 1907-2000.
- Sartre, Jean-Paul, 1905-1980.
- American poetry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- American poets Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Articles Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- French literature -- Study and teaching -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- New Orleans (La) -- Intellectual life Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Poems Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Eira Tansey
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note