Jackson Thornwell Witherspoon papers
Scope and Contents
Jackson Thornwell Witherspoon (1900-1940) was a native of New Orleans, a prolific writer, and gynecologist. The collection contains numerous drafts of articles by Witherspoon, both popular and technical, written primarily while he was Associate Professor of Gynecology at the Indiana University School of Medicine. There is also correspondence regarding the negotiations and progress of his published textbook, "Clinical Pathological Gynecology" (1939) as well as a scrapbook of advertisements and book reviews. In addition, there are class notes taken by Witherspoon as well as certificates and a draft of a book, "Two Years at Oxford," which he adapted from a journal he kept while studying in England.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Jackson Thornwell Witherspoon (1900-1940) was born in New Orleans and graduated from Princeton University, Oxford University, and Johns Hopkins University Medical School. He interned in New York City at St. Lukes Hospital and then returned to New Orleans to practice medicine. He taught at Tulane University School of Medicine (1930-1935), then moved to Indianapolis and taught at Indiana University Medical School as an associate professor of gynecology. Witherspoon edited Modern Medicine in 1939 and authored the textbook, "Clinical Pathological Gynecology," which was also completed in 1939. In addition, he wrote an unpublished work, "Two Years at Oxford," adapted from a journal kept while studying in England on a Rhodes Scholarship.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by topic as follows: articles (arranged alphabetically), "Two Years at Oxford" manuscript and drafts, correspondence, scrapbook, class notes, other papers, and certificates. The collection consists of two boxes.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Evelyn Witherspoon. Date acquired: 08/01/1992.
Collection processed in 1991 by AES.
- Articles Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Certificates Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drafts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gynecologists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indiana University School of Medicine.
- Lecture notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuscripts (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Tulane University. School of Medicine.
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description