Civil War diary of Simon M. Bott
Scope and Contents
The diary of Simon M. Bott, private in the 120 infantry regiment of Ohio (E Company). Bott was a Union soldier whose regiment was in Louisiana from 1863-1865. Bott mustered out of the army while in New Orleans on June 5, 1865.
Interesting entries include: a brief mention of an injured friend in a lone entry on April 4th 1864, dated accounts of marching travel between Alexandria and Morganza (May 12th to the 21st), the mentioned burial of C. Bandanston on Aug 11th 1864, and Bott’s meticulously dated and timed journeys from Morganza to New Orleans then from New Orleans to his home in Wayne County Ohio (throughout that September).
Simon Bott mentions his stay in several locations. These include: • “Camp Plaquemine” (January 1864) • Baton Rouge, Louisiana (Early May 1864) • Alexandria, Mississippi (Mid May 1864) • Fort St. Phillip, near Triumph, Louisiana (May 19th and the 20th) • Morganza, Louisiana (End of May to September) • New Orleans, Louisiana (briefly in September)
- Bott, Simon M. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Language of Materials
This diary briefly describes the day’s activities and weather. Several pages of the diary seem to have been used as an accounting ledger, or note paper concerning either the acquisition of household supplies, simple math, biblical passages, or--in at least one instance--short poetry (some of these entries are dated as late as 1868). The diary records the activities of January 1st to the 11th 1864 and May 1st to October 5th 1864. The diary consists of 1 small volume.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Date acquired: 11/30/2001.
Originally processed in summer 2009 by intern Maxwell Means.
- Bott, Simon M.
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 120th (1862-1864)
- Louisiana -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mississippi -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Regimental histories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Civil War diary of Simon M. Bott
- Maxwell Means
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description