National Council of Jewish Women, Greater New Orleans Section records Edit

Summary

Identifier
OFFSITE REPOSITORY SEE NOTES LaRC Manuscripts Collection 667

Dates

  • 1894-1986 (label)
  • 1950-1982 (Other)
  • Date acquired: 06/10/1982 (Other)

Extents

  • 196.00 boxes (Whole)
  • 114 linear feet other_unmapped (Whole)

Agent Links

Subjects

Description

  • Scope and Contents

    The National Council of Jewish Women, Greater New Orleans Section records consist of annual reports, agendas, minutes, financial reports, scrapbooks, bulletins, programs, general files pamphlets, and correspondence with other local and national organizations.

  • Arrangement Note

    Arranged chronologically, then alphabetically. The collection consists of 196 boxes and 55 volumes. It is 114 linear feet.

  • Biographical / Historical

    The National Council of Jewish Women, Greater New Orleans Section was established in New Orleans in 1897 when seventeen women first began giving housekeeping lessons to immigrants. Their many projects include helping illiterate adults learn to read and write; "Magic Land," a cultural enrichment program for disadvantaged preschool children that was the forerunner for '"Project Head Start"; and "Teen Town," a recreational program that was the predecessor for the New Orleans Recreation Department. The Council has supported the Better Young Men Boys' Club in the Lower Ninth Ward, and the Mobile Answer Desk along with the city of New Orleans. They are also active regarding public relations and legislation for Tay-Sachs disease, women's rights, and human rights. Each year they hold the Angel Ball, which is their major social and fund-raising event.

    A collaborative effort between the National Council of Jewish Women, New Orleans Section; WDSU-TV; the New Orleans Public Library; and New Orleans public and parochial schools, these programs encouraged reading and literacy as well as the use of the public library amongst New Orleans-area children. The fifteen-minute storytelling programs aired on WDSU from 1951-1975. Beginning in 1946, the National Council of Jewish Women, under the guidance of Storytelling Committee Chair Helene Baginsky, began a storytelling program at the New Orleans Public Library. This program continued for five years when Baginsky and the Committee approached WDSU with the idea of a children's television show. WDSU agreed to the proposal and in 1951 "Magic Tree" began. "Let's Tell a Story," beginning in 1958 and one of WDSU's first color telecasts, ran until 1975.

  • Conditions Governing Access

    Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions. Collection is stored offsite, please contact LaRC staff at least two business days in advance to determine availability of the collection.

  • OFFSITE RESTRICTIONS

    This collection is stored offsite and therefore boxes must be requested at least two business days in advance. We can retrieve up to 12 offsite boxes at a time. Please send a list of the boxes you would like to consult to larc@tulane.edu. If there are any delays or complications that would prevent us from having them delivered within two business days, we will let you know.

  • Conditions Governing Use

    Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.

  • Source of Acquisition

    National Council of Jewish Women, Greater New Orleans Section

  • Preferred Citation

    National Council of Jewish Women, Greater New Orleans Section records, Manuscripts Collection 667, Louisiana Research Collection, Howard-Tilton Memorial Library, Tulane Univ., New Orleans, LA 70118.

  • Processing Information

    Collection processed in 2011 by LAC Group.

Inventory